ELIGIBILITY FOR VADM SAMUEL L. GRAVELY JR. ESSAY CONTEST
All high school juniors (11th graders) enrolled in a United States History course attending public (traditional or charter), private or parochial schools, or home-schooled students between the ages of 15-18.
Note: Winners must be able to be present at the event (Feb. 15, 2018 in San Pedro, Calif.)
CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED ELEMENTS (omissions will affect eligibility):
• An original essay written by you, containing 250 words minimum to 500 words maximum in Times New Roman 12 pt. font, single-spaced, with citations and bibliography.
• In the email header provide: Your Last Name, Your First Initial / 2018 Essay Contest
Your essay must be received by, or before, 11:59 p.m. Saturday, January 27, 2018
Submit your essay as a PDF file only, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Citations and bibliography are not included in the word count. All notifications will be via the email address you have provided.
Address the six (6) Required Criteria bullet points below in the context of Vice Admiral Gravely’s three keys to success: Education, Motivation and Perseverance.
CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED CRITERIA TO BE IN YOUR ESSAY (omissions will affect scoring):
• A brief introduction of yourself, the school you attend, your teacher, and how you learned about this essay contest.
• Were you aware of VADM Gravely prior to this contest? If so, in what context and from whom?
• After learning about the contest, why did you choose to enter?
• Please provide examples of how VADM Gravely applied the principles of EDUCATION, and MOTIVATION, and PERSEVERANCE during his life. Be explicit. Cite at least two sources for this element. Do not cite Wikipedia or this website. Please use original source material.
• Provide one example of someone you personally know that has applied the principles of EDUCATION, MOTIVATION, and PERSEVERANCE in their life. This person could be a neighbor, relative, family friend, or member of your community who is living or deceased.
• If you had the opportunity to meet Vice Admiral Gravely today, what would you say to him, or ask of him? Why?